Tuesday, 8 August 2017

Gold ruby ring 'awarded to Sir Francis Drake by Elizabeth I' for defeating the Spanish Armada goes up for sale for £70,000

A gold ring given by Elizabeth I to one of her naval commanders after the defeat of the Spanish Armada has emerged for sale for £70,000.
The ring is believed to date from 1590 and was commissioned as a gift by the then Queen of England as a thank you to a naval chief, possibly Sir Francis Drake, for defeating the Spanish.
Elizabeth I is known to have presented Vice-Admiral Drake, who was second in command during the enemy's attempted invasion of England in 1588, with a locket.
This ring, understood to have been given by Elizabeth I to one of her naval chiefs 
This ring, understood to have been given by Elizabeth I to one of her naval chiefs 
Elizabeth I's image can be seen on the gold and ruby ring, which dates back to 1590

Elizabeth I's image can be seen on the gold and ruby ring, which dates back to 1590
Elizabeth I's image can be seen on the gold and ruby ring, which dates back to 1590
The historically important ring which is made out of gold, enamels and ruby has a portrait of the Tudor Queen engraved on the main oval and a British ship on the back bezel.
Down one side of the ring is Neptune holding a trident, while the other side shows Britannia reclining in a shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment